Many of us take the Memorial Day weekend to celebrate the unofficial start of the summer season - BBQ's, parties, and generally enjoying the warmer weather with a long weekend. But let us not forget that the entire month of May is deemed National Military Appreciation Month. Here are a few ways around the city to remember and honor those who have served in our armed forces for these freedoms that we have come to expect in our American lives.
1. Vietnam Veterans Memorial Where: Highland Park South (Map) Events: None officially planned, just self-guided tours of the beautiful and peaceful grounds. Now is a great time to visit the grounds as the lilacs are in full bloom surrounding the Memorial. Website
2. Honor Park Photo courtesy of Highland Park Neighborhood Association
Where: 900 South Goodman Street (Map) When: Sunday, May 25th, 12:30pm Events: Memorial Day Celebration - "Considered to be the smallest of Rochester’s official parks, Honor Park in the Highland Park Neighborhood will host a short VFW led Memorial Day Celebration on Sunday May 25 at the park (which is on corner of S. Goodman and Linden Streets)."
3. Mt. Hope Cemetery Where: Mt. Hope Cemetery at the GAR Plot (Lot 12 on the Map) When: Friday, May 30th at 5:30pm Events: May 30 is the traditional day set aside to honor Civil War Veterans persuant to General John Logan's Order #11. Mt. Hope Cemetery Map
4. Washington Square Park Where: Washington Square Park (Map) Events: No events are planned in the park, but this historical park (Rochesterville's first town park) is a memorial for civil war heroes. A walk around downtown and through Washington Square Park gives you a real sense of heroism for what our troops did for our country. Washington Square Park Neighborhood
5. Military History Museum Where: 250 N. Goodman Street, 2nd Floor, Rochester, NY 14607 (Map) Events: The Military History Museum will be closed for the weekend, but they are open year round. They even have an area to honor local loved ones. When: Hours
6. Memorial Day Parade Where: From East Ave. and Alexander St. to Main St.; west on Main St. to Plymouth When: Monday, May 25th, 10:30-12pm Event Website